In the UFC, the centerpiece of a card is typically the most awaited and hyped fight, typically including a champ safeguarding their title. However, there have actually been circumstances where other battles on the card have actually beat the heading act. Here are 5 examples:
5. Brandon Moreno vs. Deiveson Figueiredo 2, UFC 263: The co-main occasion in between Moreno and Figueiredo took the program from the middleweight title bout in between Israel Adesanya and Marvin Vettori. Moreno beat Figueiredo to end up being the very first Mexican champ in UFC history.
4. Alexander Volkanovski vs. Max Holloway 2, UFC 251: While the centerpiece in between Kamaru Usman and Jorge Masvidal was dull, the co-main occasion including Volkanovski and Holloway was a fight for the ages. Despite losing the very first 2 rounds, Volkanovski returned to win through split choice.
3. Aljamain Sterling vs. Petr Yan 2, UFC 273: The centerpiece in between Alexander Volkanovski and Chan Sung Jung was not as interesting as the co-main occasion rematch in between Sterling and Yan. Sterling won through split choice, however the result was questionable.
2. Charles Oliveira vs. Beneil Dariush, UFC 289: The headliner in between Amanda Nunes and Irene Aldana was average, while Oliveira’s co-main occasion clash with Dariush was a busy thriller. Oliveira TKOed Dariush and made a rematch against Islam Makhachev.
1. Zhang Weili vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk 1, UFC 248: The centerpiece including Israel Adesanya and Yoel Romero was extensively slammed for its lack of exercise, while the co-main occasion in between Zhang Weili and Joanna Jędrzejczyk was hailed as one of the very best battles of the year. Weili emerged triumphant in a violent brawl.
These circumstances highlight how often the undercard battles can take the spotlight from the centerpiece, offering unforgettable and interesting minutes for fans.